Thursday, January 22, 2015

Three Scrappy Quilts

I have an overflowing bin of scraps. Well that is not true. I have three "snowboard boot" size boxes of ready cut scraps, an under the bed size  box of surplus or orphaned blocks, and a smallish laundry basket overflowing with scraps.  I also own  (or perhaps they own me) a box of dark strings and a box of light strings.  Another story those strings!!
My latest mission is to use some of the aforementioned.

Blue Bits.

These three small quilts use about 6.5 m. in total  of scraps, that amount includes the backing which are also pieces left over from other projects.

The quilt on the left is a jelly roll quilt cut again, so that it got some life.  I also added a bit more contrast. A design exercise for me.
A 'before' picture of the Jelly Roll flimsy.  Oh ick!  what was I thinking?  A decent save, eh! 

 Front and back of  4 " squares.

I have three more larger tops, ready to be quilted, also from the scraps and  the orphaned block supply.
 Oh oh, look at  Gudrun go.... yes! I used bits of batting in these wee units, basted them together with a large whip stitch.
Keep on keeping on, its almost the weekend.
Happy Thursday,

Saturday, January 17, 2015

Another finish!

     I  have a favourite group 'list' that I subscribe to, where the focus is on "stash busting".  It is an active supportive and entertaining group. Especially for those who like to use the fabric that has accumulated in various places for various reason.  This group also encourages and  issues challenges to complete projects, referred to as UFO's (un  finished objects)  :))
     Clearing things off the 'aroundtoit' is a great feeling.  I have cleared off two large projects last year and several small ones.
This project goes back several years.  It took some time for me to make this one. I got hung up down in memory lane each time I picked it up. This style of quilt is often referred to as a  memory quilt. Really?
 It contains my dad's dress shirts & a shirt of mine. I gave myself this licence as the quilt is mine and I am his only child.
G & G Quilt
A blue grey back,  quilted with fish which I drew and a pine cone pantograph
I hope you are resting in peace, Dad.

Monday, October 20, 2014

Harvest Time...Thankgsgiving

Thanksgiving is my favourite time of year. We had a full table and lots of family  and friends to celebrate.

Then a few days later a friend and I got together to work with the local harvest.

The beginning 
 We doubled the recipe, had two canners working.
This is some of my share....21  pints and 13 quarts of Antipasto (two broke)
WAHOO.  A friend helping is the best...many hands make light work, so true as long as the kitchen isn't too small, and there is room for the kitchen dance.

There was a small quilt finish last week as well...but the best part of the week
was visiting with Anna and Boris.
Boris stayed in our home in 2001 as an exchange student. Thirteen years later, it was a pleasure to visit with him again for a few days.

Hoping everyone has finished all the lovely treats that Thanksgiving leaves in the
fridge and pantry.  I gave the last of the turkey bits to a happy dog this morning.
Have a great Monday,

Sunday, October 5, 2014

June to October

I played with Ares, best dog in the world,
 I went sailing on Georgian Bay.
 I did a little quilting.
I finished a 'flimsie" = that which still needs quilting and binding to call it a quilt.  This one is made from my Dads shirts. It is going to hang out on our couch...those shirts are familiar with hanging out on a couch.

That's what I did  and here's what I am also a part in it is happening to my home.

A rotten brick chimney coming down.

A non functioning fireplace being re-purposed....

Stay tuned for the grand finish.....
Happy Sunday,

Friday, June 6, 2014

Before & After

One dreary November day we had three large trees removed, in the course of taking down one,
a large Magnolia was literally cut in half...all the branches pointing west (more or less)

I am  happy  the Magnolia survived.
Happy Friday,